Maybe moving to Bunbury. Need Info!

Guest Victoriaross

Guest Victoriaross

I may have the opportunity of moving to Bunbury with my job and after doing quite a bit of research on the cost of living over there, I was wondering If I could get some clarifications on various items.

I have estimated some general fixed costs that I am sure I will have to pay for during my stay. Can any of you please advise if I am close of way off the mark. If Im off the mark can you please advise what would be more realistic. This is baring in mind I have a wife and two young children (1 & 4 yrs).

All costs are per month.

Water (and usage charge) - $100

Electricity - $100

Gas - $50

Phone - $80 (baring in mind we rarely use the phone, and int calls will be through skype)

Internet - $40

Satellite/cable TV - $100

Groceries - $1100

Eating/Drinking out - $450 (we only go out few times a month)

Yearly cost of running a $40000 car - Absolutely no idea.

If I can get some help I would be extremely gratful!

Thanks.

Guest Em Batch

Hi Victoriaross,

I am afraid I can't help you on this one but there are a few people from here who live in Bunbury that have answered a few questions I had on the place, so I am sure an answer will come through shortly. Looking at your costs though, you seem to have more or less the same as what I have put in as Costs, so I would be interested in knowing what someone else thinks. There are a few threads too that should give you an idea, it's a case of trawling through them and finding the info.

Are you going to Rent or buy ?

Sorry I could not be more help to you though.

Emma

I may have the opportunity of moving to Bunbury with my job and after doing quite a bit of research on the cost of living over there, I was wondering If I could get some clarifications on various items.

I have estimated some general fixed costs that I am sure I will have to pay for during my stay. Can any of you please advise if I am close of way off the mark. If Im off the mark can you please advise what would be more realistic. This is baring in mind I have a wife and two young children (1 & 4 yrs).

All costs are per month.

Water (and usage charge) - $100

Electricity - $100

Gas - $50

Phone - $80 (baring in mind we rarely use the phone, and int calls will be through skype)

Internet - $40

Satellite/cable TV - $100

Groceries - $1100

Eating/Drinking out - $450 (we only go out few times a month)

Yearly cost of running a $40000 car - Absolutely no idea.

If I can get some help I would be extremely gratful!

Thanks.

Your estimates are pretty spot on, apart from Water, if your renting the only cost is water usage, I estimate around $20 per month.

a break down of approx. car running cost.

Fuel $150 per month x 12 = $1800 per year

Rego $400 per year

Service $500 per year

Tyres $500 per year.

I would estimate $3200 per year on car running costs, of course you have the purchase price on top of this and maybe a bit more in servicing if the car is older, and the fuel cost could be more if you do a lot of traveling. To get from one end of Bunbury to the other isn't very far, so if you are working in Bunbury you won't have a great distance to cover each day.

we did this move last year...

don't forget medical costs

... get teeth done now b4 you leave ...dental you have to pay full

...drugs you need to pay for too so top up kids meds while free

...difference between Medicare hospital basic family policy compared between temporary and permanent visa status is $100+ per month ($187 to $79) we also pay another $72 per month for family major dental ..

rental properties in central bunbury currently scarce/ expensive allow $450 per week, more opportunites outer areas. The rental system is a pain and involves queueing and bidding in most cases especially if you have no track record.

... first time buyers is available to you if on a permanent visa - rules in wa different to other states

...school fees can be significant dependent on school

..if on permanent visa you may qualify for 50% childcare fees benefit (one we use is $60 per day)

for me petrol is $60 per week on 3.6 engine , full insurance 450, rego another 400

k

Guest wayniexagt

well we live in glen iris . . i would say that renting is abit cheaper than that . we got 4 bed bungalow with a pool and thats $370 a week. but its beautiful.

hav a look at geoff baldwin realty . they deal with the renting and buying of houses. we landed on a 4th july 09 and we had got the house sorted and moved in on the 9th july . do your research while your still in the uk. email the estate agents and explain your situation then as soon as you land here get in touch with the estate agent and set up a meeting with them . we had no problems at all but be prepared if your doing along term rental that they mite want 6mths in advance , but its worth it .

Archived